News Letter: January2020Apdf
About the Knights…
Knights of Columbus Council Mission Statement:
Sacred Heart Council, Knights of Columbus, along with the Michigan State Council pledges to remain in fidelity to the vision of Fr. Michael J. McGivney our founder to offer a Knights of Columbus presence in our parish, to support our church, faith, clergy, and be contributing citizens in our communities living our lives in Charity, Unity, Fraternity and Patriotism.
Council Vision of Parish Support:
- Publicly and staunchly support the Catholic Church, her bishops, Priests, deacons and religious, and uphold her doctrines.
- Reach out to all Catholic men and their families.
- Foster a positive, challenging and rewarding service environment
- Nurture outstanding lay leadership and the use of personal talents at all levels of the council.
- Effectively communicate our goals among our council, parish, and community.
Council Support Activities:
Our council membership program invites all Catholic gentlemen in the parish to join with us in support of church, family and community. Since inception, on April 30, 2004, with 52 charter members, we have grown to over 217 current members. Our council has met or exceeded our State membership quota every year.
The council Knight’s programs are divided into six areas; Church, Pro-Life, Community, Family, Council, Youth. Each of these areas have their own events and activities.
- Quarterly Corporate Family Communions
- Parish Food Pantry
- Giving Garden
- Kasey the Bear program for baptisms
- Sponsor Seminarians at Sacred Heart Major Seminary (Vocations)
- K of C Members serve as Ushers, Lectors, Eucharistic Ministers
- K of C Members serve on the Parish Pastoral Commission (PPC) and on the Stewardship, Worship, Building, Fund Raising, Communication Committees.
- K of C Members also do special maintenance projects on parish facilities.
- Annual Memorial Mass for the Deceased Members.
- Culture of Life & Keep Christ in Christmas Programs (Christmas Cards & Posters)
- Downriver Right-to-Life Board Members
- Breakfast in the Parish Hall
- Council Sponsors Right-to-Life and Special Olympics.
- K of C Members serve on Recreation and DPS committees.
- K of C Members serve on the Grosse Ile Fire & Rescue, and Police Department.
- K of C Members are veterans and support, and serve, on the G.I. VFW Board.
- Three K of C Member serves on the Township Board of Trustees.
- Chain of Life for the Unborn & ChristNet Temporary Shelter Programs.
- Participate in the local parades on Grosse Ile and in Wyandotte.
- Blood Drive.
- Quarterly family breakfasts at Corporate Communions.
- Installation of Officers District Event.
- Family Steak & Corn Roasts, Pancake Breakfasts.
- Downriver K of C Family Picnic
- Downriver K of C Family River Cruise
- Family of the Month & Year Programs
- Parish Membership Drives.
- Fraternal Benefits Presentations.
- Social Gatherings Christmas Social
- Council Fund Raisers: Steak & Corn Roast, Island Fest Dinners & Breakfasts, Pancake Breakfasts, Lenten Fish Fry’s, MI Tootsie Roll Drive, HCCS Benefit Auction and Dinner, RTL Golf Outing, Vocations “Desert Meal.”
- Youth Keep Christ in Christmas Poster Contest
- Youth “Importance of Religious Freedom” Essay Contest
- Holy Cross Children’s Services (HCCS Boysville)
- Sacred heart Youth Group activities
- Boy Scout/Cub Scout Leaders
- Baccalaureate Scholarships Breakfast
- Archdiocese Prep Bowl Championship
- Special Olympics
- Youth End of Year Ice Cream Social
Right to Life:
- RTL Annual Golf Outing and Sponsor
- Assist RTL Run for the Unborn
- Annual RTL Dinner
- Youth Washington DC March for Life Sponsor
Thanks to the generous support of the Knight’s by our Parish and community, the Lenten Fish Fries, Steak Roast Dinners, and Breakfasts were all a resounding success. This gave us an increased opportunity to support our Church, Youth Formation/ Religious Education, and Catholic Charities.